In the fishkeeping journey, we sometimes go through a situation where we have to make our fish pass away humanely. Unfortunately, several diseases have no cure, eventually making euthanizing the only option left to prevent your fish from suffering.
So, how can you humanely euthanize your neon tetras? Let us find out.
Stun and stab, and clove oil method are ideal ways to humanely euthanize neon tetra. The clove oil is a peaceful way to euthanize your tetra, whereas the stun and stab is an aggressive method. Avoid eliminating your fish by flushing, giving an alcohol bath or making them suffocate outside the tank.
The article below discusses the ideal ways of euthanizing your neon tetras humanely. In addition, we will also learn the ways you should avoid to eliminate your fish.
Euthanizing neon tetras
Euthanizing refers to making your neon tetras pass away painlessly and humanely.
There can be two ways to euthanize your neon tetras humanely
- Stun and stab method
- Clove oil method
The clove oil method is a gentle way of making your neon tetras pass away, whereas the stun and stab method is an aggressive way to make your neon tetras pass away.
Let us learn the two methods thoroughly in the below article.
Why do we need to euthanize our neon tetra?
As an aquarist, one needs to take a lot of care to provide a healthy life to their fish.
Despite being hardy fishes, fluctuations in the temperature or a poor diet can lead to several health issues in neon tetras.
It is very common for a beginner to make mistakes in taking care of the fish, eventually leading to several health issues in their fish that cannot be cured.
In such a case, euthanizing is the only option left, as it is better than making your fish suffer and pass away.
Can your neon tetra recover?
You should try to cure your neon tetras before euthanizing your fish.
We recommend you consult your marine vet to provide adequate treatment to your fish, as there are several injuries and diseases that can be cured with proper treatment.
Avoid euthanizing your neon tetra for problems that can be solved.
Euthanizing your neon tetra for problems like an overcrowded tank or you no more want to keep it is not a good option.
In such a case, you can give your fish to a friend or sell them than euthanizing them.
Therefore, you should only choose euthanizing when there is no option of recovery left for your fish.
What are the methods to humanely euthanize your neon tetra?
Below are the methods to humanely euthanize your neon tetras
- The stun and stab method
- Clove oil method
The stun and stab method
Stun and stab method is an aggressive way to euthanize your neon tetra. Here are the things you will need to perform this method of euthanizing
- An aluminium foil
- A rolling pin
- A sharp knife
Below are the steps to perform the stun and stab method for neon tetra
- Place your sick neon tetras in an aluminium foil. An aluminium foil helps to hold the blood from your fish. Plastic bags can also be used instead of aluminium foil in this process.
- Aim for the head of your neon tetra with a rolling pin, as it will damage their nervous system making them feel nothing.
- You can now stab your neon tetra. This method is known as pithing, a technique used to immobilize animals by putting a needle or a metal rod in the brain.
- Cut above the eyes of your neon tetras, and your fish will pass out immediately.
Therefore, we recommend using the clove oil method to euthanize your neon tetras, as it is a peaceful and gentle way of making your fish pass away.
Clove oil method
The clove oil method is a peaceful method of euthanizing your neon tetra. You can easily find clove oil in the market or can purchase it online.
Here are the items you need to perform the clove oil method
- Clove oil
- A container or a bucket
- A mixing bowl
Below are the steps to perform the clove oil method for your neon tetras
- Fill the bucket or a container with water according to the size of your neon tetra. Pouring one gallon of water will be sufficient for your fish.
- Place your sick neon tetra in the bucket. Consider placing them gently, as improper handling can cause stress in neon tetras.
- Mix the clove oil with water properly in a mixing bowl before applying it directly to the bucket. We recommend adding 6-7 drops of clove oil, as it will be sufficient for your tetras.
- Put the mixture gently in your neon tetras bucket. You will discover your neon tetras losing consciousness slowly. However, add more oil drops to the bucket if your fish does not lose consciousness.
- Finally, once you notice your tetra losing consciousness, you can add a high dose of clove oil to the bucket, as it will induce hypoxia, making your tetra pass out peacefully.
Once you notice your tetras not showing any movements for 10-15 minutes, it indicates that your fish has passed away.
How not to put your neon tetra down?
Here are the ways you should avoid putting your neon tetra down.
- Avoid flushing your neon tetras, as it will not make them pass away immediately. There are chances of your fish surviving in such a situation, making them suffer a lot before passing away.
- Do not place your neon tetras in boiling water to make them pass away, as it will make your tetra suffer a lot.
- Avoid releasing carbon dioxide in your neon tetras tank, as it will make your neon tetras suffer a lot before passing away.
- Avoid performing alcohol baths to make your neon tetra pass away, as it is the most inhumane way to make your fish pass away. Alcohol can burn the gills of your fish, eventually making them suffer a lot and pass away.
The above are some ways you should avoid putting your neon tetra down.
Consider using the clove oil method to euthanize your neon tetra, as it is the most gentle and peaceful way to make your fish pass away.
- Euthanizing refers to making your neon tetras pass away painlessly and humanely.
- You should try to cure your neon tetras before euthanizing your fish.
- Stun and stab and clove oil method are the two ways of euthanizing your neon tetras.
- Stun and stab is the aggressive way, whereas the clove oil method is the gentle way of making your neon tetras pass away.
- Avoid flushing or giving an alcohol bath to put your neon tetras down, as it will make your fish suffer a lot.